In Summer Bay, bonds formed are bonds formed for life. On the set of Home And Away, we saw countless friendships forged that lasted long after the actors said goodbye to their fictional city.

So it was no surprise to hear when we spoke at The Australian Women’s Weekly Women of the Future Awards with Sarah Roberts and Penny McNamee that the two stars completely love each other.


Sarah and Penny had the sweetest, simultaneous response when asked which women on set they most admire.
“This is going to sound lame, but Penny!” Sarah said with a chuckle.

Oh, and obviously, Sarah!”Oh and clearly Sarah!”

“Do we say anyone else?” Sarah asked her co-star before she answered, “I don’t know, they’re not here!”

Sarah went on to clarify that Penny had always made an effort to look out for her, despite having several overlapping storylines.

“Penny’s so kind, she is always checking in with me and asking if I’m okay at work. We don’t actually get to do that many scenes together but she’s always checking in with me which I love.”

With Penny saying, ‘I feel completely the same way, we’re kidding, but it’s really true,’ the feeling was absolutely mutual.
“I feel like we bonded really quickly because we got on set and I feel like our priorities are not necessarily all about acting, we’ve got outside lives and things we care about.”

Friends such as Penny are a blessing to Sarah after an immensely trying year.

She’s hoping for another kind of a blessing in the new year too, the 35-year-old revealed to Australian Women’s Weekly.

“A new life would be the greatest present my husband could give me,” adds Sarah. “New life in my belly and a brother or sister for Scout.”

“Sarah opened up to Scout in November to become a step-mum, telling Nova podcast How To… Life: “We didn’t want Scout to have some girl whizzing in and out of her life.